Saturday, February 17, 2018

CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE

Eternal Vigilance… Still no Peace

          Rhonda Trigg is a single mother who attends Johnson Chapel. She has beautiful dimples, and we started off talking about how they are hereditary, her daughter has them, and how she even has the cleft in her chin like my father.
          She’s 43. She has twin sisters. She has two kids, 21, and 18 at the time of the interview. What she had to tell me about were incidents and issues that had affected her son.
          In 2013, when her son Marquis (Quiz) was a Senior, he got into a scuffle at school because someone called him a “nigger.”
          While he was still in high school, he was harassed by a police officer outside a basketball game, for smoking. The officer, who was later let go, also called her son, “nigger,” according to Rhonda.
          Rhonda had been a self-appointed watchdog of the school system throughout the time her kids were students. Numerous times, she’d gone to the superintendent to complain about the lack of Black teachers but she had been rebuffed. She kept notes. She accosted people. They wanted to know how she knew what she did about how things happened in the school system. She called it a buddy system, where jobs were awarded, “not by degrees,” but by who you knew. This would be a disincentive for most Black residents to pursue education as a career if they wanted to stay in the community.
          I asked her, “How did you get this…. I mean, what I’ve observed since I’ve talked with people here is that they are aware of the inequities, but not a lot of people want to say anything… but you have this… where did you get it from?”
          “My dad. My uncle I have an uncle named John Bell, he used to go to all the school board meetings, and stand up, so I started with my own kids, my sister’s kids, any kids that have ADHD, any kids, I would go to the school… I called the school every day, e-mail the teachers, get their homework, then I would go out to the kid’s house and make sure they got their homework done.”
          “You’re a leader. You’re not just a leader, you’re a leader, you’re an advocate.”
          I wondered aloud whether church gave Rhonda the strength or courage to carry on with her one-woman crusade in the schools, a crusade for Black children, not only her own, but the community’s. I mentioned the then-pastor, Michelle, and how forceful and outspoken she was, and how passionate: did she inspire Rhonda.
          The answer was not what I expected.
          But that’s the thing about interviews. You know you are doing a good job if people don’t just tell you what they think you want to hear, but tell you what they are thinking. They don’t sit there and search around for words, they just spill out their answer and so-be-it.
          I don’t know about all that, she said, I’m getting kind of tired, I’m about to be done with it. She’s always telling me what to do next: Rhonda, go down in the kitchen. Rhonda, get on this committee. There’s always something needs to be done. I’m about done with that kitchen.
          Could it be that Rhonda’s real skills aren’t being recognized? It appears to me that she may have what it takes to lead a movement to improve conditions for the Black community. It must be frustrating for her to be doing it alone. They say the price of peace is eternal vigilance. Rhonda’s been vigilant for a long, long time now. But there is no peace.
          And why, two years later, are there still no full-time teachers or staff in the school system?