Saturday, February 17, 2018

CHAPTER SIXTEEN: Questions Part 2

Questions Part 2.
These are questions that have occurred to me as I write, and some hypotheses I intend to explore.
          At one time, the population of Mackville was much larger. In fact, there were over 800 Black residents after the end of the Civil War, and now there are none. Actually, there are four, if the family of two parents and two kids who moved here from New Jersey count.
          Where did those eight hundred people go? Some of the old maps show “African” churches in town, and I know from interviews that at least some of the former slave families stayed on as sharecroppers. If, unlike Mr. Railey, they were unable to work two jobs and squirrel away enough money to finally buy his own house (many of these families were large; lots of kids lightened the workload), they finished out sharecropping without owning anything. I’m guessing that when industry and other skilled jobs moved into town, many of the Black families moved in, too.
          They pretty much all live in, or near the confines of Springfield now. This creates a situation where there are almost no Black farmers (leaving Blacks dependent upon stores and markets for groceries), no Black students in the school that lies in the county outside the city of Springfield, and very little interaction between white residents of the county and Black residents of the city.

Where are the bodies?
          During the decades of slavery, thousands of men, women and children died and were buried in these fields and on these farms… where? I found a raised tomb near my farm for a George Smith who died in 1811. White landowners and white farmers had marked graves, even on farms, in the early 19th century. Some, very few slaves’ deaths were recorded by the Catholic Church, and the Sisters of Loretto have erected a beautiful tributary to the slaves whose unmarked graves they represent. But where are the others? Can we ever know?
          I’ve read that many slaves continued the old traditions they and their ancestors brought with them from Africa, burying relics of spoons or pieces of household items with the deceased. Could someone with a metal detector find them? I’ve also seen a claim that there’s a gentleman in the county who knows how to find water by dowsing, and he claims he can find graves, too. It seems pretty far-fetched since, if the bodies were buried without any embalming or encasement, the remains must surely be mostly decomposed.
          Why do I care? I feel as if locating these burial sites would be finding a sacred tomb, equivalent to the burial mounds of the Native Americans. Through their work, their dedication, and by giving their lives to this land, they have a claim to it. It should be an honored and cherished place.

          What happened after slavery?
We know that the thirteenth amendment did not truly create equality for African Americans. Particularly in the South, the backlash for those who sought an egalitarian place was severe. Jim Crow laws, the KKK, lynchings, and generalized fear injected into the Black population enforced “separate and unequal.” I want to know how that played out here. What happened in Mackville, Willisburg, and the outlying parts of Washington County so that no Blacks live there now?
          I asked in one interview whether the “Coon Club” had any meaning… but no one thought so. It’s a real thing: a small, shingled building that sits empty except for maybe one evening a week fall and winter, when pick-ups crowd the pull-out. There are no bars or liquor licenses in the county (Washington County is a “moist” county; the city of Springfield is “wet” (sells liquor) and the rest of the county is “dry) and people really do hunt raccoons with dogs, so I figured this is just one of the gathering spots for the old guys. But the name is foreboding, especially when the Southern Poverty Law Center lists an active Ku Klux Klan chapter in the next county to our east, a town about ten miles from Mackville.
          Still, I don’t see or hear the kind of overt racism that I might elsewhere. That could be because everyone is following the script and staying within the lines.

Why do people still fly Confederate flags? Do they know how this makes people of color feel? Is it intentional, a signal?

What was it like here in the 1960s and 70s? How did Black residents feel?

What have the Black people learned by working in the homes and offices of the white population? What do they wish they could know?

What role have the churches (most especially, the Catholic church) played in the lives and the histories of the people of the Black community? Does the Catholic (white) community feel any responsibility toward the descendants of the slaves who came here with the religious orders?

American Indians: Where and how did the connections occur between the Black community and the Native Americans who married or mated with them in Kentucky?

The histories that I do find, both the local ones and the regional ones, are of the “notable” citizens. Today, it occurred to me that a big part of my goal is to tell the stories of the day-to-day folks, the Pansys, the Cissys, the Pappys, and the Foxys. Today Pansy told me that she was cooking dinner for one hundred people for Thanksgiving. What?!

          She didn’t brag about it. I asked her where she was going and what her plans were. She told me it was her third year making “American” Thanksgiving for the people at the Mexican Church in Lebanon. She’d be basting and massaging the turkeys, stuffing them with orange and lemon and parsley, and mashing potatoes… she told me fondly how one of the Spanish-speaking women struggled to ask her to make mashed potatoes, because she forgot what they were called.

          She takes care of people, worries about people, and carries on. The people I have met through Pansy are some of the most genuine, honest, and accepting people I can recall meeting. It never ceases to amaze me that they accept and trust me, a Yankee who asks a lot of questions and clearly has different interests.

I’m consumed with the need to find the remaining evidence of slavery.
I think this is because I believe that both white and Black people will benefit from a discussion about the way there is an easily traceable line of linked events from slavery up until today, and here, where it happened, and the descendants still live as neighbors, that can be demonstrated. It can be quantified. It can be documented. That’s not possible in many other places. As Julia said, “I think it was really important when Mr. Railey said, ‘What about slavery now?’ and then he just turnt his head.”
          “Yes,” I agreed. “He summed up the book.”
          But before the understanding that can be healing and can bring great things to bear, there will need to be some hard conversations, some challenging words and some uncomfortable moments.