Saturday, February 17, 2018

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN: White Tears

White Tears
When we were about eleven years old, me and Beverly were walking back from Fieldtown there was right across from St. Dominic’s a little service station on the corner and we were coming back to my grandma’s because I stayed there at night, and Beverly says, “Well, Cissy, I got to use the bathroom,” and I says, “Me, too, I got to wee wee,” and there was this heavy set man, you know he just real gruff looking, and she says, Cissy, please don’t ask him, and I says, Well Beverly, I’m about to wet on myself, and I said, well, Beverly, you think you can hold yours until you get to Grandma’s and she says, I think I can, but I knew I couldn’t, cause Sharon you know how I would laugh and I would wet all over.
          I said Sir, I was antsy all over the place, and says Sir may I please use the bathroom, he says, “Get on in there and do your business.”
          We laugh about it, even now.
          Sharon says: But Cissy, that was so long ago. I mean Beverly’s come so far.
          Oh, yes, Cissy says, but we didn’t forget and we still talk about it.
          But the pain is gone?
          Oh, yes, the pain is gone.

          I find that I am crying. This is unexpected, and I feel it is wholly unacceptable.
          I’m well aware that one of the worst things white people can do, and do, often (and, I’m afraid to say, liberals do the most often) is to inject themselves and their feelings into the narrative of people of color. Centering whiteness is problematic. It hasn’t, yet, presented a practical problem for me as I worked and talked with people, but it has troubled my reflections. I know that my feelings, be they feelings of guilt, empathy, rage, or grief, are not the focus of this work.
          The first time I listen to this tape all the way through, almost two years have passed and I’ve forgotten about the story Julia told me about her eleven-year-old self and her cousin Beverly.
          When I’ve tried to listen. I’ve become exasperated with how Sharon’s insistence that bygones need to be bygones has kept Julia/Cissy from telling the stories she had planned to tell me about growing up in Springfield, and has diminished her expressions of injustice over and over.
          Since then, a book has been published with the title Black Tears. It’s a story about two young white men who appropriate Black culture and music and end up facing some tragic consequences. In a review of this book, Leah Mirakhor writes about what she calls a “pathology of whiteness.”

The white characters in this novel deny their own personal catastrophes, seemingly unaware that the sounds of such events “persist, fainter and fainter”; instead, they do what legions of Americans have been doing for centuries, which is turn to black Americans for catharsis while simultaneously denying their humanity. As one of the unnamed black women expresses later in the novel, “we’re fascinating to you, long as we’re safely dead.” It should come as no surprise, then, that white Americans can in the same month “celebrate” Coretta Scott King as an icon and then refuse to hear her historical testimony about an Attorney General nominee. The novel contains similar examples — examples of what happens to human beings, in the name of protecting the illusion of whiteness.

But when I hear myself speaking through tears, at first I am so disappointed. Did I really make this all about me?
          They asked me if I was crying because I could identify with them.
          Sharon asked me who raised me after my mother died.
          I started talking about Emma and how my father never took us to see her. But why didn’t I go to see her?
          “Why am I crying?”
          “You can identify with us as a Black race? You can put yourself in our place?”
“No.”
“No?”
“Well, I mean, I can in that every child gets yelled at by adults, gets scolded and feels bad, yes.. but, look.”
This is exactly the problem as has been pointed out in workshops since then: Black people are suddenly taking care of white people’s feelings. This was the last thing I would have wished for. Cissy, having worked for white people all her life, certainly knew how to anticipate their needs and moods and minimize her own. But, to find myself creating that situation was awkward and I tried to shake it off, by explaining.
          “Okay, I’m going to stop crying. We white people have lived with the privilege of being white our whole lives. If a cop stops me, I can just act however I want.. he’s not going to shoot me.”
          “The other night, I went to see Carol. And Pansy tells me, well you go on to LeeAnn’s and you turn then go to about the sixth house, and just go up to the door, so I went to a house and there was a man there. I said, Hi, is Carol here? He says, No, she’s next door. But come on in.”
          “I got home that night and I thought, what if a Black person just walked into a white person’s house in Springfield?”
          “They’d probably call the police or start shooting.” Cissy said.
          “That’s what Pansy said, depending on who the white person was.”
          “Do you feel that our race is more, empathetic, or has more, somehow more wisdom…” Julia asks me.
“Well, you have suffered more, and so, yes, you are closer to God, I would say.”
There were moments of silence here, as I tried to pull myself together, and we all figured out what to say next.

Cissy asked, “Could you just tell me why the white race maybe thinks they’re so superior that they are invincible, whatever they do or want to do is fine?”
“It’s called white privilege. They don’t even think it. It’s drummed into white people from birth…”
Sharon said, “You have to learn to act white.”
“It’s how you carry yourself. You watch them, you see how they act, you act how they act. You mimic them, you learn how to tweak white people through that.”
My frustration and puzzlement over this almost two-hour conversation returned as I contemplated it in the following months. To me, it represented something that I needed to acknowledge: in listening and recording the feelings and memories of the Black community, I would have to allow for the many perspectives individuals had on slavery, racism, religion, and on Black America. I had engaged in trying to convince Sharon the racism was very much alive, and that there was a direct line from the past to the injustices of today. But Sharon was firmly set upon a narrative that envisioned Black people as personally responsible for their own liberation, emotionally as well as economically and politically.
          This philosophy has long held sway among scions of Black life. Henry Louis Gates, in an article from the New York Times, touches upon it:

Booker T. Washington himself led the charge by calling for a New Negro, one who would cease complaining about slavery. Even in his classic ''Up From Slavery'' (1901), he urged his black readers to obliterate their memory of hurt and wrongs, bragging that he had completely rid himself of ''any ill feeling toward the Southern white man for any wrong that he may have inflicted upon my race.'' As his contemporary Benjamin Tanner put it, ''The very remembrance of our experience is hideous.'' Sarah Debro, an ex-slave, told an interviewer in North Carolina in 1937: ''My folks don't want me to talk about slavery. They's shame niggers ever was slaves.'' Slavery? Forget about it.

WASHINGTON'S blueprint for a New Negro was actually a call for a full embrace of white, bourgeois values, complete with his insistence on the importance of ''a toothbrush and a bar of soap.'' Even by then, class tensions had had a long history among African-Americans, and they had also troubled the abolitionist movement. Douglass complained in 1856, ''Opposing slavery and hating its victims has come to be a very common form of abolitionism.'' In the slave narratives, the noble, aspiring fugitive often established his nobility, implicitly, at the expense of the average, illiterate, less adventurous slaves left behind -- whose spoken language even black authors often rendered in a harsh, humorous dialect.